Monday, October 19, 2009

Its my party!

That was the theme of yesterday's 'Welcome to Charleston Oyster Roast' party hosted by my friend Sally and my neighbor's Jess and Richard in my honor. It was the perfect crisp fall day for an afternoon oyster bake complete with a big pot of chili alongside Bloody Marys and Mimosas. I made sure to tell all my new friends in attendance that it was in fact 'my party!'. Oyster Roasts are the South Carolina version of our Florida Crawfish Boil as you will see. The mention of crawfish however did not seem to perk up anyone's taste buds at the party (unless they were from alabama).....Carolina folk think those critters are not worth eating. How rude!

We set up the back courtyard of the main house that sits behind mine.



4 bushels of oysters were ordered and a steam pot was set up to cook the batches.


When the oysters were steamed to perfection the cooker would throw them in the middle of a big plywood makeshift table and we all dug in!

I noticed the oysters here are smaller and come in clutsters that you have to dig your knife around in order to get each salty oyster out before chucking the whole lot. I loved it!




I even sampled an 'oyster shooter' for the first time.....shot glass filled with an oyster, vodka, and cocktail sauce. It took me quite a large gulp to get it down and am not sure if I actually enjoyed it. Sorry no photo as I consumed it quickly!
Hey IT'S MY PARTY!

Every last oyster from the bushels were consumed as you can plainly see...
nothing was wasted!


When the evening started to get cooler we started up the fire pit and the party lasted for hours. It was so fun to meet new people and made me excited all future roasts to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment