Wednesday, September 16, 2009

CHEAP yet CHIC

Since I am currently 'out of work' and moving to a new city I am on the hunt for 'cheap yet chic' items to fill my new home.

Findings so far....

1) Thank you Anna and the Vogue September 2009 Issue. In my former job position I was annoyed when the Vogue editors called to harass me for 'exclusive' items from CHANEL that cost under $500. I luckily managed to find them a pair of black rubber rain boots adorned with a white camelia flower ala Coco CHANEL just below the necessary price point. In these recession times even Vogue wants to keep things in check. While flipping through the issue on my bon voyage flight from NYC to Pensacola on September 3rd I noticed a chic little love seat in the index pages. The love seat featured is from the Nate Berkus for HSN collection available online and priced under $500! The black and white pin stripe fabric shown in the issue seemed like a perfect furniture addition for my still NYC studio size Charleston home. It just works....


*Fyi I have a DVD copy of the infamous 'The September Issue' in Charleston if anyone wants to host a viewing party! I currently have no TV or anything to play the documentary other than my trusty laptop. I will bring the cheese!


2) Recently every time I turned on the television a Walmart commercial for back to school shopping was dancing before my eyes. I started to notice these colorful Parson's-like tables featured in their dorm room scenarios. So when I got home to Florida I had Jean look up the table online out of curiosity and to check the price tag as I have been eyeing the same design at West Elm. Well it appears other saavy shoppers had also been paying attention to the television and the tables were sold out online with a price tag of $49! On a whim Jean and I jumped in the car on a mission to find the table our local Walmart. We wanted to inspect it in person and see if it was truly cheap yet chic. To our delight they had the table in stock in black which was what I was looking for and it was nice looking. This was not the end of our good news for the day! When we got to the check out counter to pay for our find the price rung up at $35!! It was on sale! Success at Walmart....gotta love it!


No comments:

Post a Comment