1) Burbages: A staple on Broad Street that I visited with Sally prior to my move. I am able to walk to the grocery and get very fresh mixed salad greens, tomatoes and other veges as well as a delicious bbq sandwich or boiled peanuts if I am in the mood. It was also cheap! I want to check out their meat selection at a later date but it all looks fresh and well kept. They have your usual grocery items from canned goods to chips and cold beverages. I even noticed fresh homemade soups and spreads in the fridge section. What really caught my eye was the pimento cheese sandwiches! You can also buy the spread alone....mmmmm
Here is an article from the Charleston City Paper on the long history of the store.
2) Queen Street Grocery: When I was tipped off on this spot by my friend Kristina I was very anxious to try it. I was on the hunt for a grocery style market with fresh salads and juices similar to what I find all over Manhattan. This particular grocery has a great selection of sweet and savory crepes, salads, and smoothies. Just what I was looking for! They also have a great wine selection with evening tastings weekly. Its a very low key vibe where the food is prepared fresh in front of you by young college-aged folks. They have bar stools to sit at the front counter or you can hang out at the tables. I like the fact that you can 'dine-in'. They also have good organic drinks and coffee. They serve bagels for breakfast which I am not sure if I want to try as I noticed they were kept in a plastic bin up until the early afternoon. I could make too many NYC comparisons on taste so maybe I will just go for the coffee and skip the bagel.
Here is an article from the Charleston Post & Courier / Preview on the history of the grocery.

Mmmm....delicious crepe of spinash, mushroom, swiss cheese, and dill sauce (not the one I ordered but I did not complain)

3) Wentworth Station: A straight shoot East from my house. When I walked in and checked out the menu I thought this is a place to get good deli sandwiches. You can also get deli sliced meets and cheese if you are in need. The place was stocked full of beer (75 different brands) and wine for convenience in the neighborhood. I noticed a vege hummus wrap I would like to try as well as to sample their chicken salad. They have high bar table seating at the front of the store and also not bad looking college boys were working the counter.......just sayin
Here is a short article from the Charleston City Paper on the location.

No comments:
Post a Comment